Comments in this book numbered by 3 numbers (included 00 or 0) a few places followed by one small letter = clear cases. Comments numbered by 00 or 0 followed by 1, 2 or 3 letters (big or small) = likely cases.
There are many thoughts and conclutions one can make after studying the Quran - and at least these are absolutely sure:
NB and Ps.: But all the same: Never forget that most Muslims have a relaxed view on the hard verses in the Quran. Some because they really do believe Islam is peaceful, some because they dislike war and strife, and some for different reasons. Never judge a Muslim bad only because he is a Muslim. The majority is no better and no worse than other people.
Islam before 622 AD was a peaceful religion. But it changed dramatically in and after that year. Perhaps because Muhammad needed highwaymen and then warriors - like said before. Science also say that Muhammad’s morality changed or was destroyed at that time - or that his true self surfaced when he grew powerful. Whatever is the truth about that, it is sure he and his teachings in Medina were very different from the years 610-622 AD in Mecca.
The some 22 surahs from Medina show a brutal and unforgiving man and religion bent on power and women and riches (at least for bribing followers and potential followers)- a morality and goal that attracted many of the primitive and warlike tribes in Arabia, and made the religion start its real growth in power and riches. The main attraction for many was not primarily the religion, but the wish for riches and slaves and power “good and lawful”.
But today many Muslims are not interested in war, do not want war, and are no different from others as people. Many even honestly think Islam is a peaceful and good religion, and base their believes on this point on the peaceful surahs from Mecca - may be not even knowing which surahs came first and last, which are valid and which not. Honestly peaceful humans wanting to live a peaceful life with good relationship to their neighbours, Muslims or not. It is impossible to guess how big this part of the Muslims is, but numbers we have seen tends to be around 70% worldwide, though warying quite a lot from one place to another. There is all reason not automatically to judge all Muslims like terrorists or bad people.
But then there is the group that definitely will not take part in anything themselves, but who are sympathetic to the ideas of Muslim power - included using war and terror to reach it, and included a feeling that Islam and Muslims are superior with the right to suppress all others. This group worldwide may count around 30% or a bit less of all Muslims. Sympathy, money and active help from this group, makes it possible for the extremists to work. Also these are mainly peaceful people, but they make the terror and other excesses possible for the “active” ones. (And 30% of all Muslims after all makes more than 300 million).
Then there are the “active” ones, included extremists and terrorists. They are relatively few - but even a low percentage of some 1.2 billion Muslims all the same makes up a number of “activists”
And it does not take many “activists” to kill you - and our problem is that it is impossible to know who is peaceful, who is helping in the “war” and who are or will become terrorists, etc.
WHEN WE WITH OUR LIMITED KNOWLEDGE FIND SO MUCH THAT IS WRONG IN THE QURAN, HOW MUCH MORE WILL THEN A REAL SCHOLAR BE ABLE TO FIND!
And an afterthought: In the book “The Message of the Quran”, certified by Al-Azhar Al-Sharif Islamic Research Academy in Cairo (one of the 2-3 top universities in the Muslim world on such subjects) in a letter dated 27. Dec. 1998, it is admitted rather reluctantly that there are no proofs for Allah, and that it is not possible to prove him. An additonal point here is that if there are no ptoof for Allah and impossible to ptove him, automatically there also is no proof for, and impossible to prove Muhammad's claimed connection to Allah. If there is no Allah and/or no connection between Muhammad and a god, what then is Islam?
NB: If you find any mistakes anywhere, please inform us. If it is a real mistake, it will be corrected.
NB, NB, NB:
1. Read first the 2 small chapters "Some Essentials for how the Quran is to be read and understood" (VII-10-1) and "The Quran is to be understood literally if nothing else is indicated" (VII-10-2).
2. http://www.1000mistakes.com is blocked by many Muslim authorities. To debate with persons in such areas, cut and paste what you want from the pages and send it under titles different from http://www.1000mistakes.com.
3. http://www.1000mistakes.com is one of 9 pages which Muslim organisetions warned especially against in 2008 and 2009 - it could make especially procelytes lose their belief in Islam; correct and "down-to-the-earth" information works. In this connection it is worth noting that in the "warning" http://www.1000mistakes.com was one of 3 which neither was accused of bringing wrong facts, nor of being a hate page.
4. Comment 141 (to verse 6/149) in “The Message of the Quran” (see point 5) explains (translated from Swedish) about Allah's claimed omniscience vs. man's claimed free will:
“With other words: The real connection between Allah’s knowledge about the future (and consequently about the unavoidable in what is to happen in the future*) on one side and man’s relatively (!!*) free will on the other – two statements that seems to contradict each other – lies outside what is possible for humans to understand, but as both statement are made from Allah (in the Quran*) both must be true”. Unbelievable. Blind belief is the only correct and intelligent way of life, even in the face of the utterly impossible!!
5. And an afterthought: In the book “The Message of the Quran”, certified by Al-Azhar Al-Sharif Islamic Research Academy in Cairo (one of the 2-3 top universities in the Muslim world on such subjects) in a letter dated 27. Dec. 1998, it is admitted rather reluctantly that there are no proofs for Allah, and that it is not possible to prove him. An additonal point here is that if there is no proof for Allah and impossible to prove him, automatically there also is no proof for, and impossible to prove Muhammad's claimed connection to a god. And if there is no Allah and/or no connection between Muhammad and a god, what then is Muhammad? - and what than is Islam? - a made up, invalid religion?
6. Further: All the mistakes, contradictions, etc. in that book prove 100% that the Quran is not made by an omniscient god - no god makes such and so many mistakes, etc. If then Islam is a made up religion, what then about all the Muslims who have been prohibitted from looking for a real religion (if such one exists)? And where will they in case wake up after living and practising such an inhuman war religion like Islam is according to the Quran (and to Hadiths), if there is a second life somewhere? - Hell or Paradise?
7. NB and PS: No matter how sure you are about something, if it is not proved, it is not knowledge, only belief or strong belief, and can be wrong. Only what is proved or possible to prove is knowledge.
(As http://www.1000mistakes.com is blocked in many Muslim areas - which shows they are afraid of it and lack arguments (if they had real arguments for http://www.1000mistakes.com is wrong, blocking was unneccessary) - "cut and paste" whatever you want from it and send if you want to inform or to debate there. Remember to omit the name http://www.1000mistakes.com).
In an age of Muslim terrorism it might be an idea to inform people about facts like these - true information is damaging for conservative Islam.It may anger some Muslims - and quite a lot. But anger against whom if it is posted anonymously and from Internet cafes in Muslim or other countries? Or in other ways distributed anonymously? F. ex. by sending copies to persons that may be interested.
It may make some young Muslims or Muslim proselytes start thinking. Over some years it may work - perhaps reduce the number of terrorists 1-2% if it reaches enough readers. (NEWS PR. 2009: MUSLIM ORGANISATIONS WARN AGAINST SOME INTERNET PAGES AS THEY MAY BE DESTRUCTIVE FOR MUSLIM MISIONEERING. ONE OF THE 9 MENTIONED BY NAME IS http://www.1000mistakes.com - and one of only 3 not called "hate page" or claimed to give wrong facts.
And it is a very cheap way of fighting terrorists and terrorist recruitment.
Printing would in many cases be more efficient, but be very careful. May be in some years when the text is well enough known from Internet? - if the servers are not blocked or forced to delete it - - - power is power and terror is terror. But go ahead if you want. Books often goes further than Internet. But this manuscript is large (3.75 Mb pr. Oct.2009) - it may pay to print f. ex. only the mistakes arranged according to subjects + the 5 Mega Mistakes + the mistakes accepted by Muslim scholars and Islam + the contradictions + a few more. But if you aim for students studying Islam, the complete lists should be included.
One thing one should not do - even if especially some Americans would be tempted - is to make a project like this pro-Christian or pro-anything-else. Then most Muslims will dismiss it as propaganda. Besided the plain truth is enough - it is impossible for an educated, intelligent person trained in thinking to believe that the Quran is made by a god. There are far too many mistaken facts and other mistakes, and far too many invalid claims, "signs" and "proofs", etc. The last ones actually are the hallmadks of swindlers, cheats, deceivers - and politicians (Muhammad was a clever politician).
There is much on Internet about mistakes in the Quran, but we have found nothing like this page.
Translate it if you can to any language you wish - for the ones not speaking English. We do not have the capacity or linguistic knowledge ourselves to translate it to f. ex. Muslim languages. Or to your own language for printing - then in case use a Quran in that language for the translation of the quotes from that book - but beware that Yusuf Ali’s translations sometimes may be more correct than some others.
If you cannot or will not use this yourself, forward this address to someone who can.