Comments in this book numbered by 3 numbers (included 00 or 0) a few places followed by one small letter = clear cases. Comments numbered by 00 or 0 followed by 1, 2 or 3 letters (big or small) = likely cases.
Originally we were little interested in religion, but as more and more Muslims arrived in the West, we found that we ought to read their holy book - the Quran (also written the Qur’an or the Koran) - because it is not possible to understand a people and their culture, without knowing their religion.
We read. And were shocked and frightened. We had been told - especially by Muslims - that Islam is a peaceful religion. In a way it is - but only towards other Muslims, and only as long as some Muslim leader does not want a war against “infidels” or as long as some Muslims do not declare that some other Muslims are not really Muslims. There are lots and lots of incitement to war and hate and discrimination towards non-Muslims in the Quran. Islam as given in the Quran – and especially in the 22-24 surahs from Medina – simply is a religion of hate and suppression, stealing/robbing and rape, blood and war. But we know a number of Muslims - most of them do not live according to those points in the Quran. And little by little our attention gravitated towards a mystery: The Quran tells it is sent down by the omniscient god Allah, and is perfect and without mistakes, Muhammad told the book was sent down from the god and was perfect and without mistakes, Islam tells the same, and so do Muslims.
AND ALL THE SAME THERE ARE LOTS OF MISTAKEN FACTS AND OTHER MISTAKES IN THE QURAN + A LOT OF INVALID AND WRONG LOGIC.
The Quran denies it. Muhammad denied it. Islam denies it. Muslims deny it. But all the same: Anybody with good knowledge of f. ex. geography, history, psychology, archaeology, or astronomy will find a great number of mistakes in the book.
F. ex. the Quran tells about the Muslim (!!) Alexander the Great (under the Arab “nickname” Dhu’l Quarnayn = “The Two-Horned One“, which is a well known Arab name for Alexander to science) in surah 18, that he travelled west till he found the place where the sun set “in a spring of murky water” on Earth!! In addition to the other wrong points here, we know from history that Alexander never travelled west. Macedonia (his native country) and Egypt were the furthest west he ever came.
And what about the statements about 7 material heavens or firmaments that is frequently (ca. 200 times) mentioned in the book? - with the stars fixed to the lowermost of these (the heavens also have to be material to make it possible to fix the stars to one of them). And how about using stars as weapons against bad spirits? - the maker of the book obviously did not know the difference between a shooting star and a real star. Any god had known better. But Muhammad believed this - this was the astronomy of that time in Arabia (actually it is from Greek and also Persian/Indian astronomy of that time, a fact Muslims NEVER mention).
Not to mention the most well known mistake: According to the Quran, Mary - mother of Jesus - was the daughter of Imran and sister of Aaron (and consequently of Moses – 1200 years earlier). It is known from Hadith (Muslim traditions about Muhammad) that already Muhammad tried to “explain” those two mistakes, but neither he nor later Muslims have succeeded - scientists of religion (included some Muslim ones) agree on that Muhammad made a mistake here. Either when creating or when reciting it.
And to mention a last one: According to the Quran Jesus was thought the Gospel as a child/youth. But the oldest of the Gospels (there are four, not one) was written some 25 years after Jesus died (new discoveries say may be some years earlier). They simply did not exist - could not exist - when Jesus was that young. After all the Gospels are the story of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, and could not be written until after his final disappearance. Perhaps - perhaps - one existed that was older than ca. the year 60 AD, but also this for very obvious reasons had to be written after Jesus' death, resurrection and disappearance. More about this later.
The whole religion of Islam is built on one presumption: That Mohammad always spoke the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, and never forgot or made details wrong - and especially so when he told that the Quran was sent down from Allah, the omnipotent and omniscient god. But an omniscient god does not make mistakes “en masse” – he does not make mistakes at all. Neither does he use invalid “signs” nor “proofs” or invalid logic - only cheats and deceivers do that.
This became a mystery for us - the mistakes etc. were so many and so obvious. But hundreds of millions of Muslims could not all live in a fool’s paradise or in an illusion!? We had to be wrong and there had to be some explanation. The mistakes were so easy to see - anybody can go to the Quran and find them. There had to be something we had overlooked.
And the mystery became even deeper as it dawned on us that a number of the mistakes were in accordance with the picture of the world and of history that learned men in the Middle East believed in at the time of Muhammad. Any god had recognized them as mistakes, but Muhammad believed it all to be correct. It was simply in accordance with what Muhammad thought was correct geography, history, astronomy, etc.
We honestly tried to find explanations. But it is difficult to get answers - “explanations” yes, explanations no. And the answers were not even polite sometimes - we “had to be stupid or Israel-lovers or Muslim-haters or we just parroted anti-Islamic propaganda” to ask such questions and not simply accept that the Quran is perfect and without mistakes, no matter what mistakes it contains. Even organisations for Islamic information were sarcastic as they answered my stupidity: We f. ex. asked for an explanation about the statements in the Quran that the heavens are supported by “pillars you do not see”. The answer was that “everybody with an IQ greater than 60, understand that that means there are no pillars”. We replied that we know the difference between invisible pillars - the statement in the Quran - and non-existing pillars, and asked for a real explanation. We never got an answer.
The enigma of the Muslims and all the obvious mistakes in the Quran still is an enigma for us.
NB: If you find any mistakes anywhere, please inform us. If it is a real mistake, it will be corrected.
NB, NB, NB:
1. Read first the 2 small chapters "Some Essentials for how the Quran is to be read and understood" (VII-10-1) and "The Quran is to be understood literally if nothing else is indicated" (VII-10-2).
2. http://www.1000mistakes.com is blocked by many Muslim authorities. To debate with persons in such areas, cut and paste what you want from the pages and send it under titles different from http://www.1000mistakes.com.
3. http://www.1000mistakes.com is one of 9 pages which Muslim organisetions warned especially against in 2008 and 2009 - it could make especially procelytes lose their belief in Islam; correct and "down-to-the-earth" information works. In this connection it is worth noting that in the "warning" http://www.1000mistakes.com was one of 3 which neither was accused of bringing wrong facts, nor of being a hate page.
4. Comment 141 (to verse 6/149) in “The Message of the Quran” (see point 5) explains (translated from Swedish) about Allah's claimed omniscience vs. man's claimed free will:
“With other words: The real connection between Allah’s knowledge about the future (and consequently about the unavoidable in what is to happen in the future*) on one side and man’s relatively (!!*) free will on the other – two statements that seems to contradict each other – lies outside what is possible for humans to understand, but as both statement are made from Allah (in the Quran*) both must be true”. Unbelievable. Blind belief is the only correct and intelligent way of life, even in the face of the utterly impossible!!
5. And an afterthought: In the book “The Message of the Quran”, certified by Al-Azhar Al-Sharif Islamic Research Academy in Cairo (one of the 2-3 top universities in the Muslim world on such subjects) in a letter dated 27. Dec. 1998, it is admitted rather reluctantly that there are no proofs for Allah, and that it is not possible to prove him. An additonal point here is that if there is no proof for Allah and impossible to prove him, automatically there also is no proof for, and impossible to prove Muhammad's claimed connection to a god. And if there is no Allah and/or no connection between Muhammad and a god, what then is Islam?
6. Further: All the mistakes, contradictions, etc. in that book prove 100% that the Quran is not made by an omniscient god - no god makes such and so many mistakes, etc. If then Islam is a made up religion, what then about all the Muslims who have been prohibitted from looking for a real religion (if such one exists)? And where will they in case wake up after living and practising such an inhuman war religion like Islam is according to the Quran (and to Hadiths), if there is a second life somewhere? - Hell or Paradise?
7. NB and PS: No matter how sure you are about something, if it is not proved, it is not knowledge, only belief or strong belief, and can be wrong. Only what is proved or possible to prove is knowledge.
(As http://www.1000mistakes.com is blocked in many Muslim areas - which shows they are afraid of it and lack arguments (if they had real arguments for http://www.1000mistakes.com is wrong, blocking was unneccessary) - "cut and paste" whatever you want from it and send if you want to inform or to debate there. Remember to omit the name http://www.1000mistakes.com).
PS: If we are blocked centrally - f. ex. by spam (there is too much at times already from unfriendly sources) we will reopen with new address somewhere else, and announce the new address om f. ex. http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/islam. Also if your comments to us do not reach us, any comments posted on the thread "What is it with http://www.1000mistakes.com ?" (or make a page containing "1000 mistakes" in the title yourself if you want) on that forum will be read by us - it is a big international debate page.